Wednesday, February 20, 2013

How do I recover a fried hard drive?

Q. I just bought a new laptop. It crashed a few weeks ago. Now it crashed again, and the hard drive is fried. Warranty from Dell is expired. I didn't have any important files on there, and I am saving up for a new hard drive. Anything I can do instead of replacing the fried hard drive? I am posting this from a Linux Live CD. Hope you ca help! Thanks!

A. Hard to say for sure since you don't say anything about how it crashed or how the drive is 'fried'..
Pull the drive out of the laptop. Connect it to another PC (possibly with a USB adapter) and delete the partitions. Put the drive back in your laptop. Boot from a windows CD and re-install windows.

How do I put linux on a usb stick?
Q. I want to put Linux on a USB so I can boot the stick up on my computer and wipe out the corrupt disc drive. Problem is, I really don't know how to put Linux on a USB stick. Please, can someone give me step by step instructions on how to do so. Don't just give me a link and let me fend for myself.

A. http://www.linuxliveusb.com/ is pretty straight forward, not much to explain

The program is divided in sections top to bottom:
1.- Select your USB drive.
2.- Select source, if you don´t have a linux distribution available select Download and pick whatever Linux you want.
3.- Select if you want persistency and how much memory to use for that (only available for Ubuntu, it's some space in your drive so you don't loose any file created in your live system)
4.- Some options self explanatory
5.- Create

Careful palying with your drives in linux, you can loose all your data.
For Drive formatting and partitioning I would recommend PartedMagic in the Source section

How to delete the contents of your hard drive in linux?
Q. I have a problem with my computer, here is the question regarding the problem:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=ApLwMY16xtWZ.nfb6qnYqKnty6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20121129222439AAksO5r

I can not use a live cd because my computer doesnt have a cd rom, and my live usb doenst want to work.
I want to delete the contents of my hard disk to try and fix the problem.
How can delete the contents of my hard disk without using a live cd or a live usb. Is there a program that does that?

A. I would get the liveUSB working first. Seems like you won't have any way to use the computer until that.

Or, like the other guy mentioned, a PXE server on a remote computer. Then your computer can boot from the network into whatever linux image you choose.



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment