Wednesday, May 15, 2013

How do I install Ubuntu Linux to my PC when I have two Hard Drives and don't need to partition?

Q. I've been looking at the Ubuntu Linux site for a while, they tell you how to partition a drive, but not how to set it up for two HD's with a choice of which to boot on startup.

I know I could have the BIOS always pop up on powerup, but is there an easier way?

A. It still need to partition the drive used for Ubuntu.
Actually if you have something on the other drive like Windows, the Ubuntu will put it in the Grub boot Menu. I have XP on one drive and Ubuntu on the other on one of my computers. One word of advise, Windows doesn't play well with others, it will overwrite Grub on other drive without a second thought. So if you reinstall/install Windows unplug the Ubuntu drive during install. If your starting out from scratch install Windows first then Ubuntu, it will save the step of editing /etc/grub/menu.lst to add Windows boot item.

How Much Memory Does Vista and Xp Recognize At Max?
Q. I found a motherbord with 6 240-pin slots and a maximum of supporting 16 gigs of memory. Now if i put in 6 to 12 gigs of ram can vista and xp recognise and use this when playing games? Can linux use all of this? Is there a hack, mod, or patch i can download for each windows and then they will both use up all the memory?

A. You can use all of the RAM if you get a 64-bit version of XP or Vista. The only downside is that most programs don't work for 64-bit right now. Most all operating systems are 32-bit.

But really, you won't need it for playing games. I have 4GB of RAM, and I've never gotten anywhere close to max when I play games (even Crysis). I think the most I've ever used was 2.3GB when I was opening every program I had.

My suggestion: Get Windows XP 32-bit, 4GB of RAM, and start gaming. A few years from now, everything will be optimized for 64-bit, and we can switch over.

What are the pros and cons of switching TO Linux FROM Windows?
Q. For someone who's good with computers and uses a new-ish personal desktop for several hours a day, mostly on the Internet.
By "Linux" I mean whatever version is easiest for a newcomer to it and by "Windows" I mean Windows 7.
Switching and adjusting isn't an issue, I'm mainly referring to the pros and cons of the general operating systems themselves.
Thanks in advance.

A. Easiest Linux is Ubuntu, in my opinion. Software is made available very simply.

I tried to do what you propose, and found Linux too limited. It wasn't the OS, but all the channels I knew were to deliver Windows content. So I gave up too easily. I dual boot, and use Linux to repair whatever Windows infections I or neighbors get.

Linux is less prone to virus, at least until more people move onto it.

[EDIT:

Sorry, forgot cons...
- cannot (yet) buy software for Linux in local stores,
- cannot play your favorite Windows games without an emulator (which may require you to do a lot of tweaking),
- Linux is a console-based OS, with a windowed wrapper, so when you are tweaking, you will likely be doing this at a console,
- your office apps are usually not available, which requires retraining,
- cooperating between Windows (your clients) and Linux can be a bit taxing.
]



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment