Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Is installing backtrack effect bios of my system?

Q. someone told me if i install backtrack linux,then i won't be able to install window 7 later i.e it change my all bios settings and i won't recover it later
Is it right or not please tell me soon.

A. It is wrong in that it does not touch your BIOS settings or do anything specifically to disable installing Windows 7. It is somewhat more difficult, but still possible, to install Windows 7 afterward. However, if you have both, you should install Windows 7 first for the easiest dual-boot setup.

How do I switch to backtrack 5?
Q. I want to switch to backtrack 5, but I dont want to lose important files and updates. What exactly does switching my operating system on my laptop do. Can I switch back? And there are many forms of backtrack 5 which should I do please help?

A. I don't "switch to" Backtrack 5. I use it occasionally and I use Linux but I have never installed it as a primary operating system and frankly the idea repulses me.

Burn it to a DVD or install it ot a flash drive using these instructions:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com

then boot boot from it that way. It will never TOUCH your hard drive unless you EXPLICITLY tell it to and your files will be intact.

Alternatively install it on a virtual machine.

Going to school for Computer Information Systems and interested in Security?
Q. I'm currently in the middle of getting my degree at a 2 year community college, my major is Computer Information Systems specializing in IT Support, then transferring to a four year after to continue studies. Iv'e always been interested in Security but unsure of where to start learning about it. A few people have suggested tutorials with Linux Backtrack but I was just curious if anyone could point me in the right direction to learn more about security and working on getting certifications to help stand out when applying for jobs down the road?

A. Hi Alec,

Security is a great area of IT to study. Here is what I would suggest as starting point:
I would first complete the 2 year diploma which you are currently working on before making any significant specializations into IT security. Many people rush into wanting to get on the security side of computing and IT but do not have the basic knowledge to start with. Dependant on what type of security you are looking into I would make sure that you have a thorough understanding of the topics that interest you first.

Then I would start by studying for an IT certification in the Security sector such as the CompTIA Security+ - If you are attending a polytechnic institution then your school may have courses specifically designed to prepare for such certifications. Then you could move onto higher level credentials such as the CEH, CISSP and SSCP. CompTIA certifications are quite common and widely recognized by employers. The CISSP and SSCP are a bit more difficult and require some additional work experience in information security but are very valuable at a later point in time.

My advice to you would be to focus on your university education right now which is invaluable knowledge and provides a well rounded approach. Certifications are great but they do not replace a formal academic education so you are definitely on the right track. I would also take advantage of any security related courses that your school offers. And as mentioned above before you start moving directly into the security side of things I would gain a thorough understanding of the fundamentals such networking, programming the Linux operating system and client/server relationships. Once you have built a strong technical foundation then adding security specialization will not seem like much. Linux and Backtrack tutorials are great, but as mentioned, simply memorizing commands and following tutorials is not as beneficial as actually understanding what you are doing. Security and computer problems in general are presented in so many different ways in the real world so having a the basics down and understanding what is happening first can really help in giving you the ability to tackle any problem that comes your way.

I hope this was able to help and wish you all the best with your studies.

Regards,
Max



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment